Monday, March 23, 2009

Breakfast: An Addendum

Paul was out of town this past weekend in Texas, so I didn't have much of an incentive to make the Sunday chocolate brioche (making twelve pastries for one person is a little much, don't you think?). But I wanted something a little bit more special than my normal poached egg or museli for my relaxing morning on the couch with my newspapers.


As I was musing over my options, I recalled reading once that Daniel Boulud makes scrambled eggs in a double boiler. Now I'm generally not the hugest fan of scrambled eggs. Most of the time they're too dry, too hard, just overall a pedestrian experience. But Monsieur Boulud didn't get to where is he today by serving up pedestrian food, I so on this, I decided to trust him.


So I whisked an egg with some salt, milk (OK fine, it was cream, but just a splash), and set it over my ghetto version of the double boiler:



A bowl over a pot of simmering water.


I whisked the eggs pretty continuously while they cooked and the result was just fabulous:


Eggs softer and creamier than you can imagine. They practically oozed over my favorite blue plate. I'm not saying they've replaced my love for the brioche, but in pinch, this is nearly as good.

3 comments:

J.K. said...

Fun blog! I just came across it for the first time today; I'll have to check back.

Joyce said...

I have never made eggs this way I will give it a try. Thanks!

Laura said...

J.K. - glad you're enjoying it, yours is fantastic by the way!

Joyce - it is a bit of a pain to do, but I do adore the result. I hope you do as well!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin