Sunday, January 4, 2009

Weekend Reading, Part III

I'm a little late to the Chelsea Handler party.  Marissa turned me on to her late night talk show on E! while we were lazing about in a hotel room in Santo Domingo last spring, and I've been a fan ever since.

So how excited was I when I saw that she had written a book!  (It turns out it is her second, as I said, I'm late to the party).  And how excited was I (again) when it came in for me at the library!


In order to chase away the post-holiday blehs, I decided to treat myself to a romp with Are You There Vodka, It's Me, Chelsea.  Luckily, it's everything I hoped it would be.  Namely, hilarious.  I literally was laughing out loud, nearly to the point of tears, while reading it.  Paul repeatedly gave me quizzical (at first), then vaguely annoyed (the longer it went on) looks, and then finally went out to a movie to get away from my hyena-like peals of laughter.

I am tempted to quote funny passages in order to pique your interest, but I started and found that I was essentially transcribing the whole book.     

But instead I'll give you this advice (which hopefully will pique your interest as well as provide some valuable information):  do NOT skip the essay about her time in prison.  I do not mean jail, I mean prison.  Women's prison.  In L.A.  Granted it was only 24 hours, and was largely a mistake brought on by her stupid sister's petty vindictiveness, but it was quite an eventful 24 hours (and frankly is an excellent prison deterrent...if you need one, other than, you know, the whole incarceration thing).  Lesbian action, body cavity searches, the whole deal.  And by the way I love that her major concern during the cavity search was the unkempt state of her bikini line.  And I love even more how quickly that concern was neutralized once she saw what kind of forests her fellow inmates were cultivating.

OK, I'll stop.  I'm verging intro transcription territory.  All I can say is that if you need a little wicked levity in your life, look no further.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin