Sunday, January 4, 2009

Weekend Reading Part II

I have a tendency to check out way more books from the library than I can ever possibly read.  It is one of my New Year's resolutions to get my piles of books under control, so yesterday morning, with an eye to my mounting late fines, I sat down to thumb through a couple of seriously overdue items.

One of them was the Olsens twins' latest effort, Influence.


For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past few months, the book is a collection of interviews with and images from various people that Ashley and Mary-Kate feel have been major influences in their lives, mostly from the worlds of art, fashion, and design.

And you know what the interesting thing for me about the book was?  I had only heard of maybe 40% of the people profiled, so it was not only entertaining, but actually fairly educational (I now feel much more arty and edgy than I did prior to reading the book).  Diane Von Furstenberg was obviously a fun interview, as was Karl Lagerfeld (although he did step out of his crazy fashion designer personality to impart some actual wisdom which was sort of unexpected), but I favored the interview with writer Bob Colacello over all of the others.    

Anyway, a great effort by the mini-moguls, and certainly worth at least a gander in the bookstore.    

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin