Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Time Has Come

To my great delight, peonies made their annual debut at the Greenmarket this past weekend.  


(first of season peonies at James Durr)

And I was not the only one excited by the event.

(epic line at James Durr)

I brought the tight little buds home, cradling them tenderly during the trip, and carefully arranged them in my most minimalist vase.  Although they reminded me a bit of Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors, I could not help but be thrilled for the burst of color I knew would be forthcoming. 


Bit by bit,


blossoms sprang forth.  Massive in diameter, the papery and delicate peonies made me smile each time I walked by.


Here's to a spring and summer home filled with these gorgeous blooms!

12 comments:

Mise said...

They're one of my very favourites too - there's a large peony bush outside my front door and I stand by it willing it on.

The Townhouselady said...

Peonies are the best. Mine have barely broken ground thus far.

materfamilias said...

Gorgeous blooms, but yes, I'd watch my back 'round that one hungry-looking bud! (I'd never seen them that way before -- you made me laugh in recognition!)

Sneaky Magpie said...

My favorite flowers on earth, no sight of them in London yes, sadly...

La Belette Rouge said...

Love the time elapsed blossom!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

So beautiful! Mine are getting close...and I will ready with my clippers!!!

Angie Muresan said...

Ah, I do love peonies. They are so unapologetically pretty, aren't they?

And that certainly is a long line.

French Fancy... said...

They are gorgeous indeed and I'm pleased to report that in a small garden in Brittany there is a peony shrub with two flowers and three more buds.

Laura said...

OK obviously I need to buy a peony plant...you all are making me so jealous hearing about yours!

Millie said...

What stunning burst of colour & beauty your peonies have treated us all too Laura!
Millie ^_^

Laura in Paris said...

I love peonies ... always remember my visit to Luoyang, in China, famous for its peonies ... they had blossomed and it was heavenly!

myletterstoemily said...

oh, do i love peonies! but that one opened
up to look like a hibiscus. so many unique
varieties.

have a lovely day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin