Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Room to Breathe

With the prospect of lots of out of town summer weekends ahead of me, I've been savoring the last few that I have at home for the foreseeable future.  Saturdays are generally spent puttering about...farmer's market in the morning, yoga and then various necessary tasks.  Later Paul and I meet up after he is done with whatever epic bike ride he's undertaken that day and we either have a quiet night in or a night out on the town.

But Sunday, glorious Sunday!  I sleep as late as I like, I make a decadent breakfast, I tussle over the TV with Paul for a bit (my political talk shows versus his downloaded British dramas) and then the afternoon is wide open.  For whatever.

Now of course more often than not things don't quite go according to plan.  There are errands to be run, people to be seen, chores to be done.  But everyone once in a while, things are perfectly free and easy.

I have just enough odds and ends in the refrigerator to make a beautiful, balanced breakfast.


[The one merguez sausage left over from dinner the night before was just as luscious and fat-studded as I had hoped it would be.  The bit of dill I had kicking around in the vegetable drawer added the perfect je ne sais quoi  to my eggs, and the slightly wilted red mustard greens (currently my favorite variety of greens) provided the crunch and vitamins.]

I have the freedom to thumb through inspiring cookbooks, both new and old.


And the time to cook from them.


[Jim Lahey's carrot bread, nascent stage]

These are the times to be savored.

9 comments:

Jane said...

I have that Madhur Jaffrey book I love her to death. I am envious of your Sundays. Very very envious. xoxo

French Fancy... said...

What an unusual-looking breakfast, love the china.

What British dramas does Paul download?

Laura said...

Jane - Yes, isn't she fabulous?! I have to say that of all of her cookbooks I think that one is her best.

French Fancy - It ranges from Dr. Who to that time traveling one with the cops to the british Law and Order. Only if he is particularly ticked off with me does he force me to watch East Enders.

Mise said...

That carrot bread looks ever so promising - did it turn out well? Is it grated carrots or cooked pureed carrot you add?

Hannah Stoneham said...

Your weekends sound ideal!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

That breakfast sounds delicious, Laura! Saturday morning, after too many NYC dining excesses, we ordered oatmeal for breakfast at the Breslin. I know you're an oatmeal fan--you would love this wonderfully made version. But knowing Ms. Bloomfield's reputation for having a way with meat, we also split an order of housemade sausage. Insanely good--and the perfect foil for the healthy oatmeal.

Millie said...

Is Paul as devastated as us Down Under that The Bill has been given the chop? What were they thinking?!
Millie ^_^
P.S. Your Sunday sounds as close to perfection Laura as I can only dream of. Being MOTH's renovation lackey is no fun believe me.

Sneaky Magpie said...

Weekends are never enough, I so wish for free Fridays ;)

Laura said...

mise - it was carrot juice actually, and it was delicious!

Terry B - I'm heading over soon. The Breslin is right on a path I traverse fairly often so as soon as I find myself there in the morning I'll give it a try!

Millie - I spent a fair few weekends growing up as my dad's renovation lackey, I feel your pain!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin