Sunday, October 3, 2010

To Your Health

One evening last week, Zenia and I headed uptown for a bit of quality time with one another and some cosmetics shopping.  We are both partial to the cosmetics floor at Barney's, Zenia because of good memories of a Vincent Longo makeup artist who worked there years ago, and me for their extensive selection of Byredo fragrances, so we hoofed it there straight away.

While looking for Byredo's new fragrance (M/Mink, sadly not yet in stores) I became absolutely infatuated with Gypsy Water.  TO DIE.  I could not stop inhaling my wrist.  It smelled of earth, I just could not get enough.  It has officially replaced La Tulipe and Blanche as my favorite.

Zenia found that Vincent Longo had long left the floor, and that the service one gets at 7:30 p.m. on a Wednesday, although reasonably serviceable, did not live up to her memories.  Between my inability to spend $195 on my new favorite perfume and her disappointing makeup experience, cocktails were in order.

We went directly across 60th Street to Rouge Tomate.  Now although the restaurant has been around for quite some time, I had never set foot inside before.  I suppose because I am still depressed about the loss of the fabulous Nicole Fahri store that had been the previous occupant of the Rouge Tomate space.

But as is so often the case in these situations, it had been my loss.  The space was gorgeous and calming and sleek, the sort of restaurant that I imagine Lilly van der Woodsen might frequent, and to which I am somewhat inexplicably drawn.


photo via nycgo

Due to a vague wariness about the kitchen's Sanitas per Escam philosphy (translated as Health Through Food), which sounded a little too much like some crackpot raw food manifesto that would cause us to pay untold sums for a plate of purslane or some such nonsense, we stuck to the bar.  And to the oysters.

The bar was a good call.  I got a Green Mary, which is essentially salsa in a glass with vodka.  Green tomato, tomatillo, jalapeno...all of my favorite green items in one place.  It was possibly the most refreshing, unique drink I've ever had.  Zenia's dark and stormy was up there as well.  Everything was so good I actually didn't mind the $14 price tag (and this is saying something...I almost always mind the price tag regardless of the situation).


The oysters, adorned with ginger, beetroot and mignonette sauce, were absolutely delicious as well, although at $16 for 5 oysters I think I'll be sticking with the $1 oysters at Lure and Ten Bells going forward.  I have to ask, who serves an odd number of oysters?  It's a phenomenon I've never witnessed before.

But that said, the food that was coming out around us looked fabulous (if a bit small).  Based on my experience with the very tasty cocktails I may just have to take a look at the very healthy food menu next time I'm in the neighborhood. 

3 comments:

Jane said...

Oysters are the thing where you can really tell you are being ripped off because anyone can make a vinaigrette, so why pay $3.60 for an oyster when you can buy 12 for $24 at the fish market. That cocktail looks divine. xo

Sneaky Magpie said...

The green cocktail looks like a super healthy juice, is sounds divine. And I think you got cheated out of 1 oyster there!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

The whole raw food thing does absolutely zip for me, Laura, except for oysters. We ate loads of them on our recent trip to Seattle and Portland, so fresh and briny, tasting like the ocean. We got a dozen for $12 at one happy hour (in a Seattle restaurant called Brooklyn, randomly enough!). Our server warned us to order more just before happy hour ended and prices tripled.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin