Monday, September 21, 2009

Setting the Record Straight

I alleged not long ago that my father's hairstyle has, since he crossed the threshold into adulthood, not changed.

In the interest of completeness, he sent me a photo refuting this claim (he is at the center of the back row).

Based on the fact that I recognize a few of the friends in the photo as his compatriots from graduate school (perhaps the preponderance of thick framed glasses should tip you off to that fact...they were all in the sciences as far as I am aware), I assume that this photo was taken sometime in the mid-1960s. Before the 60s became the 60s. Before Berkeley became Berkeley.

So the addition of the beard occurred sometime thereafter. Following a particularly bad sunburn that my dad sustained on a trip to Death Valley with my mother, I'm told. And thus began an era.

6 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

So the beard was not protest or rejection of the establishment, but a mere (long lasting) sunburn.

French Fancy... said...

Your dad looks nice.

Thanks for popping over to see me - it looks very nice here and I shall return...

Laura said...

Laura - Yes, I think he was just sick of his chin and liked the look of a beard...

French Fancy - He is very nice! Hope to see you again soon.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Love the old photograph...that one guy on the end of the first row looks like Matt Damon....but he probably wasn't born yet !

Fun Post !

Kary

Rob M. said...

Many sets of great glasses. And nothing wrong with beards.

Laura said...

My Farmhouse Kitchen - Now that you mention it, kind of! In his "Good Shepherd" phase perhaps.

Rob - I think you would have fit in quite nicely with this group.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin