Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Very Strict Rule

My apartment was awash in purple and green this weekend. The trend started innocently enough, with a plush bouquet from my favorite flower wholesaler, James Durr. In general, I feel that each bunch of flowers I pick up before my beloved peonies come into season is simply a placeholder, a facsimile of the real thing.

But this spray of lilac and green transcended the normal clutch of blooms that often sits on my kitchen table. It had charisma.

I suspect that it was through its sheer force of personality that a distinct purple and green theme began to spread throughout my apartment.

First it was the purple and green hued ramps that I sauteed with vinegar and capers to accompany my baked skate for a fresh from the greenmarket lunch.

It got progressively more intense with the purple pickled ramps that I made after lunch.

And then, at the highest end of the spectrum, my electric green ramp pesto (ramp tops, garlic, salt, olive oil, parmesan and almonds) that I whipped up (or rather the Cuisinart did) in the early evening.

There were of course a few very vocal deviants...

But then I always welcome rebels, particularly ones as enchanting as these.

9 comments:

Jane said...

I agree. Those flowers have charisma. As does your skate (lucky you) and that wonderful green pesto. I might whip some of that up myself today. xox

Rob M. said...

Awesome looking pesto!

brismod said...

I'm all for rebellion in the home too. It looks all lovely and decidedly delicious!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I love your, ahem, rampant use of purple and green, Laura.

Laura said...

Terry - oh dear. You do make me smile!

Sneaky Magpie said...

I really shouldn't read your blog in late afternoons when I am getting hungry! The skate looks delicious.

Peonies are my fav flowers ever, can't wait for them.

Robin said...

Are ramps the same as green garlic? We've been using lots of it at the restaurant and it's delicious sauteed in ANYthing.

Angie Muresan said...

That bouquet is so pretty. I love green and purple together.

vicki archer said...

I like your rebels....gorgeous bouquet, xv.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin