Saturday, October 18, 2008

Red Velvet Awakening

I had a few people over for dinner and to watch the vice presidential debate a couple of weeks back, and Gerald won the prize for favorite guest when he brought along a few giant (and I do mean GIANT) slices of the best red velvet cake I've ever known.  "Where did you get this?!" I demanded to know after simply smelling, not even tasting, the delectable confection.  With a smirk and an eye roll, he mumbled "CakeMan Raven...hello, in Brooklyn?".

So I did a bit of research on this temple of red velvet, which incidentally until that night I didn't even think that I liked, and apparently I am the last person in the world to find out about it.  Jay Z loves it, Patti LaBelle loves it, Regis Philbin loves it, Dan Rather loves it, goddamn OPRAH even loves it and she tells everybody about the things that she loves.  And perhaps most embarrassing?  The place was featured on the Food Channel!  There are not too many venues that are more mainstream than the Food Channel, and yet I still managed to miss it.

But nevermind, now that I know about the great CakeMan, I can avail myself anytime of the luscious cream cheese frosting and the moist, vaguely chocolatey cake.  I suggest that next time you are in the vicinity of 708 Fulton Street in Brooklyn, you do the same.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin