Monday, August 1, 2011

The Great Bram

Am I the only one completely obsessed by earthenware vessels?  Cheap and cheerful cazuelas, those incredibly elegant and tasteful covered serving dishes from Heath Ceramics, and even this platter from Ben Pentreath, they all appeal to my love of the kitchen hearth.  Something about them just screams "delicious food eaten with good friends".

But it wasn't until recently that I stumbled across a website that is entirely devoted to my obsession.  Bram.  Doesn't it just sound sturdy and warm and useful and rustic and simple and elegant, just like earthenware itself?  I initially fell hard for the spouted mixing bowls, and then those gorgeous rectangular  baking dishes (perfect for the big lasagnas I make for friends to eat while they watch boxing matches at our apartment).  But then I came across this:


and I was slain.  I mean how perfect a representation of the spirit of earthenware is this thing?  I'm seeing lots of gratins, braises, breads, cakes and pot pies in this lovely dish's future.  

1 comment:

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Wait, what? Boxing matches? You never fail to surprise me, Laura. But yes, I love ceramic stuff too. Lately I've been intrigued by the idea of a tagine. It seems so strange to be able to use something that's not metal over an open flame on the stovetop.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin