Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Winter Feast

I've spent the last few weeks wondering when life got so busy. Between a new job, a consequent renewed interest in keeping up professional relationships, a desire to catch up with friends after the hectic holiday season and an unusually high number of birthday celebrations this month I've been out far more than I've been in. And I'm worn out.

Luckily my week ended with a relaxed dinner at my apartment with a group of lovely ladies. The food was, thanks to my dinner party savior the River Cafe Cookbook, incredibly easy to prepare...the Spaghetti al Limone and the pork braised in vinegar are just about as low maintenance as you can get, and the salad, based on one I tried at Bouchon a few months ago, is probably the only Thomas Keller recipe that requires the use of less than four dishes (it uses one).

And dessert was particularly easy because I didn't make it. Vivian, who I'm slowly learning is a deceptively talented cook, made an amazing flan, and Rachel was kind enough to come bearing Crumbs cupcakes. I will be spending the rest of the weekend indoors, away from the cold, nose in a book, snacking on the remains of the feast. Particularly the sweet stuff.

5 comments:

Dash said...

Ooh, there is nothing better than a cosy weekend in, especially when you have good snacking fodder and good books. Recharge your batteries and enjoy. XX

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Oh, Laura..I LOVED this..nothing better than a food menu..You've been to Bouchon ! MY DREAM ....

I LOVE The River Cafe Cookbook too....what a winner..i don't know if i am right..but isn't that where jamie oliver ( i have a crush on him) cooked.....

you day sounds perfect...

enjoy it, my friend
kary
xxx

Rob M. said...

Big fan of minimalist spaghetti. My grandmother used to make it for us when we were kids with butter and salt (also know as heart-attack spaghetti - although my grandmother didn't call it that, she just called it spaghetti).

Unknown said...

cupcakes? boooooooo. :)

Angie Muresan said...

I wish you a lovely weekend, Laura.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin