Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Grown Round

Spherical fruits and vegetables seem to be having a moment right now. Winter squash of all sorts are in abundance...acorn squash, turban squash, hubbard squash and of course the iconic pumpkin...they're all spilling out of crates left and right, one last gasp of bounty before the chill sets in. Lovely apples hold the promise of autumnal tarts, crisps and pies, as do those last Italian plums that have stuck around so tenaciously this year.


But I have to admit, as odd as it might sound, that it was the cauliflower that caught my eye most recently. At the market this weekend there were buckets and buckets of what may have been the largest specimens I have ever come across. For reference (and I suppose I should mention that I have quite big feet):



I commented on their heft to the friendly vendor and he proudly replied "They're lookers aren't they!" I couldn't help but bring one home, what with Paul's intense love for all vegetables cruciferous.


It almost looks like an Old Master still life, doesn't it?



Now the first thought that I generally have when I bring produce home is "What dish shall I make?" But with this monstrosity the question is not which dish, but which dishes.


A bit less than half of the hulking head went to a batch of Insalata di Rinforzo,


a few handfuls went to diversify the mix in my favorite green Thai curry, and the rest...well, the rest is currently on standby in my refrigerator. Any ideas for the remnants of the great beast?

9 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

What a beautiful cauliflower!
I have recently served portions of suateed cod on a bed of fork mashed steamed cauliflower, with some hazlenut oil on top to remind us it's autumn. Everybody said it was delicious - and simple.

Mise said...

That insalata recipe looks very good, and deserving of such a prize specimen of cauliflower. I like that the vendor was so proud of it!

vicki archer said...

Only a deliciously creamy soup....xv

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Great photograph ....what a beauty queen....

thanks for stopping by....

and, yeah, gotta keep in touch with old friends....the're the best...

more later,
Kary

Laura said...

Laura in Paris - That sounds like an excellent idea! I always love a bit of low key mashing...

Mise - I know, I think that's why I love shopping at farmers markets so much. Connections, you know? And not with mega conglomerates...

Vicki Archer - Oh that does sound tempting...

My Farmhouse Kitchen - "beauty queen"...what an apt descriptor!

Toni said...

I love what the vendor said - a "looker". Great!

If it was me, I'd be making a cauliflower and cheese soup. It's great for fall and you could freeze anything you didn't polish off.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Yuuum. She IS a looker. A regular dandy! You could fee a small country with her!

We used to make a great cauliflower and brown rice casserole...yummy, cheesy, kids loved it (and unbeknownst to them...it was healthy...sneaky me)

La Belette Rouge said...

I LOVE a good cauliflower. I roast them in olive oil with garlic until they taste all nutty and smokey and yummy. Deliciousness.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

With my recent travels [travails?], I haven't had a chance to check in with my favorite blogs. The picture of your sneakers with the cauliflower just may inspire next Wednesday's post at Blue Kitchen, Laura.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin