Friday, August 28, 2009

Weekly Roundup

With summer coming to an end, it is vitally important to squeeze in one last trashy beach book before the weather turns cool and demands intellectual reading material. Bangkok 8 is it. A compelling mystery/thriller, the book reveals just enough about the underbelly of the Thai drug trade to persuade the reader that the time spent on the book is educational rather than amusing.

Perhaps because I've had precious little beach or pool time this summer, I am loving Carlos Van de Roer's water-centric photos at the moment.

I have developed a bizarre obsession with this serving spoon. Perhaps because when I host dinner parties I am reduced to using horrible big black plastic implements as serving pieces?

And after reading a glowing review in the New York Times of the new book Hos, Hookers, Call Girls And Rent Boys: Professionals Writing on Life, Love, Money and Sex, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Come on New York Public Library, put in an order!

9 comments:

Terry B, Blue Kitchen said...

That spoon is so cool! You need to hit some flea markets or Fishs Eddy or even Target. Those big black plastic implements are strictly for plating in the privacy of your kitchen. [Wow, I'm suddenly all "Kitchen Eye for the, er, Straight Girl." Sorry, Laura.]

Laura [What I Like] said...

I know, it's bad. They're left over from when Paul was still a bachelor...although I find Fish's Eddy better for actual plates rather than serving implements. I may have to splurge on the spoon.

Jane said...

that spoon looks really divine. It is very important to have a nice big metal spoon. And thanks for the trashy book tip, It can't be Shakespeare and Updike every day.!

Lucinda said...

I hope that last book doesn't name names, cause if so, I know some hos that are gonna be in trouble.

Laura [What I Like] said...

Jane - I do agree...one's brain needs some rest now and again!

Lucinda - I will be sure to let you know!

Maggie's garden said...

Thanks for stopping by the beginnings of my blog! Especially since it has lead me to...What I like....and I like it very much! I'll be a regular reader from now on! The book tip is on my book list for this fall for sure:)))So now I 'm heading back to graze your site some more. Thanks for the enjoyable reading.

Gigi said...

I love that spoon. The obsession is spreading! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I am always looking for trashy beach reads... thanks for the recommendation! :)

Lift Station Degreaser said...

Those big black plastic implements are strictly for plating in the privacy of your kitchen. [Wow, I'm suddenly all "Kitchen Eye for the, er, Straight Girl." Sorry, Laura.]

Blog Widget by LinkWithin